W. Maple Rd. & Middlebelt Rd.
West Bloomfield Township, MI
The RCOC was seeking a solution to eliminate congestion and improve safety and traffic flow at this constrained intersection located along two minor arterial roadways.
As a sub to OHM, MTJ provided operational analysis (Rodel), development of 3 concept alternatives, and preliminary/final horizontal design for this intersection. MTJ conducted a traffic planning level review of the system of the existing context and intersections.
MTJ then developed a “right-sized” roundabout that accounts for design vehicles and avoids unnecessary realignments that do not add safety or operational value. Geometric elements were designed to achieve accessibility objectives, while maintaining essential design elements that promote safety for all modes – vehicular and pedestrian.
Key features include:
- Flared two-lane entries
- Yield-right-turn lanes
- Long splitter islands for channelization due to higher transitional approach roadway speeds & context
- Context-appropriate design that minimized adverse impacts (ROW, environmental) and maximized community benefits
- Adhered to roadway and roundabout-specific safety design principles
- Treatments for existing access and intersections
- Improved traffic flow
- Transitions to existing and proposed roadways
- Large truck/freight accommodations