State Route 68 & San Benancio Rd.
Monterey County, CA
State Route 68 is a designated scenic route that connects the Monterey Peninsula to US Hwy. 101 and the Salinas Valley, with traffic of 25,000 to 30,000 vehicles per day, and includes the highly constrained intersection at San Benancio Rd. SR 68 also aids freight and agricultural transport between the City of Salinas and River Road, and transport of goods and visitors to the Monterey Peninsula.
To determine feasibility with respect to costs, impacts and to address environmental constraints, MTJ developed a concept design. The concept design was developed to a high level, ensuring confidence in the selection of the preferred intersection design, and avoiding unexpected costs during final design implementation.
MTJ provided a highly developed concept horizontal design, preliminary vertical review, and summary of the analysis and design.
MTJ’s key services included:
- Rodel operational analysis
- Feasibility to ensure sound decision-making
- Documentation of designs
- Participation in two-day Knowledge Transfer workshop
- Compact, flared 2-lane entries
- Maintains 2-lane roadway through environmentally sensitive areas
- Minimizes impacts
- Maintains existing bridge
- Meets all safety design principles