Radio Dr. & Bailey Rd. (CH 18)
Washington County, MN
MTJ was retained to provide operational analysis and concept designs for this rural, transitional speed roundabout application.
MTJ’s Review/Design Optimization Process includes:
- Traffic Planning, Operational Analysis, Context Evaluation
- Alternative Concept Development
- Preliminary & Final Horizontal Design
MTJ conducted a traffic planning level review of the existing context and system of intersections along Radio Drive.
MTJ then developed a “right-sized” roundabout that accounts for design vehicles and avoids unnecessary realignments that do not add safety or operational value.
This resulted in a context-appropriate design that minimized adverse impacts (ROW, environmental) and maximized community benefits while adhering to all roadway and roundabout-specific safety design principles.
MTJ also developed interim/ultimate designs that would allow for ease of conversion so as to avoid expensive reconstruction when capacity expansion may be necessary.
- Rural, transitional speed roundabout design
- Interim 2-lane/ultimate 3-lane designs
- Large freight/truck accommodation