Central Ave. & Monte Sano Ave.
MTJ was retained as the consultant team’s technical area expert for the roundabout analysis, design optimization, and development of the public outreach program for the City of Augusta.
The MTJ design optimization and public involvement assistance/consensus-building process was instrumental in the success of these projects moving forward to final design and implementation planned for 2014.
In this historic district of Augusta, the proposed roundabout replaces an existing congested signalized intersection in the older urban commercial section of Augusta called ‘Midtown,’ which consists of an historic residential area, retail shops, and restaurants.
MTJ’s design optimization successfully addressed these challenges:
- Constrained urban context
- Preserving historic structures, existing parking and business access
- Provides gateway and transition of residential to commercial areas
- Pedestrian/bicycle facilitation
- Freight and large truck accommodations
▪ Constrained urban setting
▪ Pedestrian safety and circulation, incorporation of transit stops
▪ Minimized impacts to historic structures
▪ Maximized business access, on-street parking, and circulation
▪ Design optimization
▪ Public outreach
▪ Consensus building