Carmel Country Rd. & Carmel Mountain Rd.
San Diego, CA
MTJ Roundabout Engineering was retained to evaluate the feasibility of a roundabout at this commercial, highly constrained intersection.
Alternative concepts addressed these key issues:
- Minimize/avoid undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Ensure compatibility with existing and/or proposed roadway cross sections, to include ped and bike design features – cycle track and on-street bike facilities
- Accommodate necessary design vehicles:
- Large trucks/freight
- Transit and school buses
- Emergency response/fire trucks
Three alternatives were developed to evaluate optimal size/shape and fit with acceptable impacts.
The resulting compact style design allows the central island to retain landscape features that will promote visual conspicuity for this application.
- Minimized undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Compatible with existing roadway cross sections, including cycle track
- Accommodated large trucks, transit/school buses, emergency response vehicles
- Non-circular compact style roundabout