4th St. / Cedar Ave. / Lockett Rd.
The City of Flagstaff retained MTJ (as part of the AZTEC team) to evaluate the feasibility of a roundabout application at this highly constrained site. The intersection is located adjacent to elementary/middle school, college, commercial and residential uses.
MTJ Roundabout Engineering developed two geometric designs for evaluation of feasibility. The double-roundabout avoids residential impacts; whereas, the 4-legged roundabout impacts one residence.
Each design achieves operational, accessibility and safety objectives for all modes – vehicular, pedestrian, and cyclists.
- Horizontal designs that minimized adverse impacts to surrounding context
- Designs highlighting safety for all modes
- Sensitivity analysis to reflect accommodation of future traffic growth
- Highly constrained context
- Multimodal safety priority
- Minimization of adverse impacts, including residential traffic flow
- 4-leg and double-roundabout alternatives