24th Ave. & Pierce St.
To address multi-modal safety and mobility, the city of Edgewater retained MTJ to evaluate the feasibility of a roundabout at this location.
MTJ developed two mini-roundabout concepts that addressed these key issues:
- Minimize/avoid undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties (no residential impacts)
- Ensure compatibility with existing and/or proposed roadway cross sections, to include pedestrian and bike design features – cycle track and on-street bike facilities (located adjacent to middle school)
The outside diameter (ICD) is an outcome of balancing both roundabout safety and roadway design safety principles and addressing the existing roadway contextual issues.
The resulting design for this project was a non- circular 92’ x 83’ ICD mini-roundabout with a fully mountable central island.
- Minimized undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Compatible with existing roadway cross sections, including cycle track and on-street bike facilities – located adjacent to middle school
- Non-circular compact style mini-roundabout