20th Ave. & Harlan St.
To address multimodal safety, mobility, and vehicular performance, the city of Edgewater retained MTJ to evaluate the feasibility of a compact-style roundabout at this commercial, highly constrained intersection.
Alternative concepts addressed these key issues:
- Minimize/avoid undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Ensure compatibility with existing and/or proposed roadway cross sections, to include ped and bike design features – cycle track and on-street bike facilities
- Accommodate necessary design vehicles:
- Large trucks/freight
- Transit and school buses
- Emergency response/fire trucks
Two alternatives were developed to evaluate optimal size/shape and fit with acceptable impacts. The resulting optimal design was a non-circular 107’ x 95’ ICD compact-style roundabout. The compact-style design allows the central island to retain landscape features that will promote visual conspicuity for this application.
- Minimized undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Compatible with existing roadway cross sections, providing optimal pedestrian/ bicycle accommodations
- Accommodated large trucks, transit/school buses, emergency response vehicles
- Non-circular compact-style roundabout