20th Ave. & Benton St.
To address multi-modal safety, mobility, and vehicular performance, the city of Edgewater retained MTJ to evaluate the feasibility of a compact, mini-style roundabout at this commercial, highly constrained intersection.
Alternative concepts addressed these key issues:
- Minimize/avoid undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Ensure compatibility with existing and/or proposed roadway cross sections, to include pedestrian and bike design features – cycle track and on-street bike facilities
- Accommodate necessary design vehicles:
- Large trucks/freight
- Transit and school buses
- Emergency response/fire trucks
Three alternatives were developed to evaluate optimal size/shape and fit with acceptable impacts. The resulting optimal design was a non-circular 105’ x 88’ ICD compact style roundabout. The compact style design allows the central island to retain landscape features that will promote visual conspicuity for this application.
- Minimized undesirable ROW impacts to surrounding properties
- Compatible with existing roadway cross sections, providing optimal pedestrian/bicycle accommodations
- Accommodated large trucks, transit/school buses, emergency response vehicles
- Non-circular compact style roundabout